Re: Europa-List: Transponder Testing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Transponder Testing
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 03:36:02

Martin Tuck wrote:

> Where are the definitions of what constitutes a 'test'? Obviously
> it's more than just calling up ATC and asking them if they 'can
> see me' and have them confirm your altitude (or is it?).

Actually yes, just like in the famous cell phone commercial - can you hear me
now?
Narco says go 50nm from an approach control facility at 6,000 feet, contact
ATC, and fly a lazy flat circle.  No more than two dropouts (nonreplies) flying
the circle, which ATC should be requested to tell you about.  This tests
radiation pattern of the antenna. That's for a 250W xpondr, so maybe 43nm for
a 200W box.  A calculator spreadsheet I have suggests there could be dropouts
at that distance based on minimum specs, but practical exp has been not
necessarily
so.

> Does my repairman certificate allow me to do the testing?

Nope. Every two years (and arguably before FAA's airworthiness inspection) the
thing has to be tested "as installed."  All shops have portable equipment to do
so.  Some technicians will come to your house even, but not to an airport with
an avionics shop unless with an armed guard.  A few prefer cash. :-)

> How about fitting one of those ATD-300 Traffic Watch/Alerts?

I'm very happy with my ATD-200, but the ATD-300 should arrive soon.  Should be
a good product, now that it can analyze other planes' Mode C stuff.

Regards,
Fred F.