Re: Europa-List: Transponder Testing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Transponder Testing
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:14:50
 02/07/2004 10:14:56 PM,
        Serialize complete at 02/07/2004 10:14:56 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm still trying to find a way of testing my transponder (and Mode C)
without
having to pull the panel to take it into the radio shop and have them test

it.

Where are the definitions of what constitutes a 'test'? Obviously it's
more
than just calling up ATC and asking them if they 'can see me' and have
them
confirm your altitude (or is it?).

In the US, all a/c flying class B,C airspace or IFR  requires a
certificated biannual calibration of transponder encoder.
This requires a trip to an avionics shop, or a "house call" by the
avionics technician.

The test in no way requires pulling the equipment.

A test box is attached to your pitot and static probes (or elsewhere to
the tubing) and set
to generate a set of pressures. They check for leak and for calibration.
They check to see
what your transponder is sending as altitude.  They then stamp your
airframe logbook
and date it.

My recent venture to MAC Avionics at Lakeland cost me $225 but we spent
over two
hours playing with and calibrating my EFIS system.

Ira  N224XS (now officially airworthy!!!)