Europa-List: highjacking of europaclub domain

Subject: Europa-List: highjacking of europaclub domain
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:45:19

I have recently become aware that spammers have started to highjack
the <europaclub.org.uk> domain for sending junk mail.

My apologies to anyone who has been troubled by receiving any such
messages. I am not sure that we will be able to take effective action
to stop this abuse, but as far as it is possible, we will be
attempting to ensure that our domain is not blacklisted by
spamblocking agencies.

The main use of the addresses (such as <memsec@europaclub.org.uk>) is
to allow mail to be sent Europa Club Committee members without
knowing who is in post at any particular time. It would be unusual
for mail to come to members or enquirers FROM one of those addresses;
Committee members will normally reply to incoming mail using their
normal private e-mail accounts.

So, if you receive a message from <steve@europaclub.org.uk> or
<george@europaclub.org.uk> or some similarly-formed address with a
personal name at the front instead of a job function such as chair,
editor, secretary, etc, you can be fairly sure it's spam.

Apologies again!

regards

Rowland