Re: Europa-List: Gas tank and sight glass vents

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gas tank and sight glass vents
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:10:20

Hi John,
        I ran my vent line from the top of the tank to the top of the
fuel filler moulding.  I changed the vent line from the dinky 1/4" line
to a 1/2" line.   This lets the top of the tank fill rapidly by being
able to vent the air out to make room for the fuel.  From the top of the
fuel filler moulding I ran a 1/4" line up to the top of the fuselage and
did a  180 degree turn and ran it back down along side of the fuel
moulding and into the area under the baggage compartment.  From there I
ran it over to a point just behind the flap unit.  I reduxed a stainless
steel tube (that Europa provides for venting) that I bent to a 90 degree
angle and faced it forward.  I did the back drilling to protect it from a
bug getting stuck in the front.  By placing it behind the flap hinge unit
on the bottom you get a natural blocking of critters  before they get to
the vent line.   Keeps all possible gas dribbles out the bottom.
Actually with this system, I get no gas out the bottom as the top of the
fuel moulding provides the vacuum break necessary.
        I broke down and bought Tru-Trak's smallest wing leveler(~$1700).
 I am installing it as our little fighter needs to keep the right side up
while I'm looking at maps and GPS's while navigating around the area. The
aircraft is very sensitive and if I let it alone, it will head to where
the green things get bigger.   It trims out nicely but gusts of wind ect
will disturb the equilibrium and I'll drift off and drop a wing.  The
leveler will track a gps heading I'm told so if its there, I guess I'll
hook it up.  I really need only the leveling function.

Jim Nelson
N15JN

> Greetings all,
>
> Doing some planning of the vent lines for the gas tank and sight
> glass and I
> was wondering if anyone has put the vents on the bottom of the
> airplane? I
> seem to remember somebody at Flight Crafters doing this, but I can't
> remember
> exactly how it was done. It seems reasonable to have the fuel vents
> on the bottom
> so that in the event they dribble some fuel it won't go all over the
>
> airplane. I would assume that you would have to route the vent lines
> up and over the
> fuel filler, then back down to the belly where they would exit.
>
> Comments? Maybe Bob Berrube can chime in on this one? (with an
> update on the
> flight testing of his conventional gear Europa?)
>
> Regards,
>
> John Lawton
> Dunlap, TN
> A-245