Re: Europa-List: ELT Questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ELT Questions
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:25:17

> I cant answer your antennae question. But was thinking about the ELT
> location. For weight & balance, I was thinking of waiting on deciding where
> to put this thing. If CG ends up forward of optimal, you could mount the ELT
> back as far as you want? Even way back over the tail wheel spring? Beats
> using lead.
>
> With the conventional gear, CG must move forward?
>
> Kevin

Sure, except the most practical consideration should be ease of access for
battery
replacement.  Statistically, they're about as useful as a piece of lead, but
to the extent the ELT would be handy someday, you need even easier access (you
could be injured) for activation should it not, or panel switch wiring be
severed.  If uninjured, you may want to remove it (without having tools to tear
fiberglass or remove a panel*) and elect to start hiking, after constructing
the big arrow.

Regards,
Fred F.

*On some A/C access to ELT is via external metal panel, most of whose screw
holes
are slotted.  Just pry with a twig and rip it open.