Europa-List: Wing tip lighting

Subject: Europa-List: Wing tip lighting
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:54:31

 > I'm looking at the Spruce and Wicks catalog and am aghast at the
 pricing for > the 3 lights in one wing tip kits.  The Whelen kit with the
A600 series lights > is about $775.00!  It's FAA approved.

 > There is a brand called offered by both companies called Aeroflash
 which > appears to be very similar in picture and description to the
Whelen. > The Aeroflash unit is non-PMAed but sells for a whopping $325.00
less than
 > the Whelen unit.  The price is so much less that I'm very skeptical
 about > quality. >
 > How about a few opinions?
 > Thanks!
 > Brian in  Texas A 276
 > Muddling through Chapter 8

" I put a single strobe on the tail fin and a single position light in the
rudder to reduce the power requirements for this reason."

 Aye, so did I.  I also added the strobe/taillight to the rudder as it
 didn't cost much more.  I also bought my power supply from an internet site
(can't think of the name of it right now.) that cost half as much as a
Whelen aircraft supply and supplies the same power, commit flash, etc and it
turns out to have been made by Whelen!  I put the supply in the tail as many
others with CS props have found that they need to add weight to the tail to
get their cg's right.  I also am putting in LED position lights behind
Graham's wingtip lenses and will add a 55watt halogen light to each for
recognition and landing lights.  (cheap, $30 to two at auto supply stores.)
 If anyone wants details, email directly.
 Tom, California, beecho@beecho.org

 Hi Brian,
 One consideration you will need to make is the power consumption of the
strobes and lights.  If you have 914 which needs an electric fuel pump then
the electrical demand can approach the limits of the alternator
 I put a single strobe on the tail fin and a single position light in the
 rudder to reduce the power requirements for this reason.
 Paul
-----------------------------

Ah Jeez..
  If you want to enjoy a moments superiority at my expense, read on:

 Because I spent so many years glued to the windscreen big 3 airliners,
petrified Id centrepunch Claude and Muriel in their in Super Spaghetti Six
4-seater, I swore to spot the best legal lights for my fellow airman and
opted for Whelen top-o-th-line wingtip assemblies, and compounded the move
by adding separate generators out at the tips to avoid any hash from the
system. I wanted to preserve inner serenity for Ham radios galore in the
wings.
  Now you tell me
Ferg Europa A064 mono