Re: Europa-List: Air Intake location for the 912S

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Air Intake location for the 912S
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:17:06

Jeff,
        Have you considered using the 914 air inlet on the lower stbd
side??   I used it for the very reason you mentioned.  I ran a 2-?1/8" or
2-1/4" red scat tube from the area. It matches the size of the 914 air
filter. I utilized the 914 fabricated ?bracket? that closes off  the area
to let air get into the turbo.  I blanked the opening for the turbo and
welded an aluminum tube on the top rear inside of the what ever you call
the 90 degree aluminum  formed piece that is bolted to the fire wall.  It
has the black fabric edges applied so it will seal off the area when the
cowling is bolted in place.   I "kicked" the bottom of the tube such that
it pointed toward the center of the area.  Then I used the 914 air filter
on that end.  I put my air temp. sensor also in that area.  This way I
add no more openings in the cowl.  See my attachment on this.  The white
wire is the temp sensor.  The aluminum bowl is the bottom of the oil
tank.  I wanted it to protrude into the area to provide additional
cooling of the oil.  I think I could have eliminated that as it runs to
cool in flight. In the background is my custom air duct for the water
radiator (only) with the levers and push rods to actuate the cooling
flap.  Just some thoughts you might consider,

Jim Nelson
N15JN

> I have trimmed and completed sanding all other openings on the
> cowling
> except the naca vent at the top of the cowl for the 912 intake.
> Wondering if
> any rain while sitting on the ramp may sneak into it. Have others
> directed
> air intake from the sides or other areas using the 912S?
>
> Jeff
> A258
> Airframe almost complete, engine mounted and still considering
> panel
> options.

=

=