Re: Europa-List: pip pin operational requirements?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: pip pin operational requirements?
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:36:36

>I'm applying the TP5-TP6 tube connection mod. As a result the pip pin
>pips will operate against bid and not directly against the TP6 metal

>I could imagine some ratcheting action if the ramp were shaped
>just so.

Jan - have you tried pushing the "pip" back into the pin? On mine
there seems to be no force I can apply that will cause them to
retract - it's a one-way mechanism, and in fact that is the whole
point of its design. Considering the shape of the pips (spherical),
if the internal mechanism was not designed to be irreversible, the
ramping effect you're imagining could even occur against the edge of
a perfectly-formed hole in a flat steel surface. Thus, I think your
worry is needless.

However, it _is_ important to ensure that the pips do actually emerge
on the bottom side of the tube far enough for them to to operate.
You'll know when it's right as the pin makes a satisfying clonk (not
quite as loud as the outrigger!) when the pips come out the far side
and the actuating plunger moves to its rest position.

regards

Rowland