RE: Europa-List: RV vs. Europa

Subject: RE: Europa-List: RV vs. Europa
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:52:15

I, too, considered building an RV but elected to build a Europa instead for
several reasons, the two primary reasons being 1) it is NOT made of
aluminum, and 2) it is far more efficient.  Having begun my engineering
career in the aluminum industry as a process engineer I know a few things
about the properties of aluminum, and having rented numerous aluminum
airplanes I've seen entirely too much corrosion (and this is in the
relatively benign southern California climate) to make me comfortable owning
a large expensive piece of aluminum that really wants to revert to aluminum
oxide.  Toss in the much more efficient design of the Europa and the
decision, for me at least, was a no-brainer.

In my (not so) humble opinion, aluminum for aircraft will soon go the way of
wood for small boats, in each case being supplanted by composites, because
of the superior properties of composites.  Even Boeing's next generation
will be mostly "plastic."

Another consideration for those of us building at home in residential areas
is noise.  Were I to attempt to rivet in my garage I would soon have both
the homeowners association and the local police paying me a visit (and not
to admire my project either).

All foam is hot-wire cut and delivered ready to cover with epoxy-glass with
minimal preparation, so very little foam shaping is required, and what
little there is can be avoided by choosing the factory's "accelerated"
options.

Before you make your decision check out these sites: Tony Krzyzewski's
"build log" at  http://www.kaon.co.nz/europa/index.html and the CAFE
Foundation's report on the Europa at
http://www.sonic.net/cafeweb/aprs/Europa%20APR.pdf for an unbiased analysis
of the aircraft's performance.  The factory's web site
(http://www.europa-aircraft.com/) has links to many other useful sites.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070