Re: RE : Europa-List: roll trim tab and servo installation

Subject: Re: RE : Europa-List: roll trim tab and servo installation
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:11:28

Fred,

I appreciate your input but think again:

1.  A large (dimensional 12mm * 25mm) cap is not a problem. Electrically
1000uF reduces the effects on the supply and stiffens the supply for
regulating purpose. True it is electrically large and I have no problem if
you reduce its size.

2. The small unipolar cap of 10 nF to 100nF is absolutely needed to prevent
an extra unwanted radio transmitter beside the avionics.

3. The cap on the output is not harmful to the 7805 since it is completely
self protected. The cap helps to stabilize the relatively high inrush
current to the motor from the serve.

4. You said it by yourself. You have to monster filter already in the
system. The cap near the alternator and the battery. True, for the higher
frequencies all 3 "filters" do a lousy job. That's where the by NS
recommended 0.22uF to 0.33uF cap comes in handy because of its relatively
low impedance compared to the other 3 it has the ability to deal with the
higher frequency noise and therefore a good think to do.

5. The diode does not harm but does not buy you a real advantage

The overall verdict is:

1. Most values are in this circuit uncritical except the 10-100nF close to
pin 2 and 3
2. As an HF noise filter a cap of .22 to .33uF is recommended between pin 1
and 2. Thanks for reminding!
3. Input and output caps can be omitted but are beneficial. Rule here is
that the input cap should be 10 times larger as the output cap to have a
stable regulating result. Anything between 100uF and 1000uF for an input and
10 to 100uF for the output would be my recommendation.

Michael Grass
A266