Re: Europa-List: Spar guide placement

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Spar guide placement
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:31:32

Hi! Ferg.
Perhaps you haven't understood my plan of solving the problem of single
person rigging of the port wing?
If you take the socket that the port spa engages in you will notice that it
has two small ramps which guide the spa finally into the socket. It is these
ramps that aren't extended enough to catch the approaching spa that causes
the delay in the spa finding the socket centre OR NEEDS AN ASSISTANT TO
VISUALLY GUIDE THE PERSON PUSHING THE WING TIP HOME THERBY CAUSING THE DELAY
YOU MENTION.  Extend the ramps about 3" then the spa has to follow them
either DOWN or UP into the socket . The only direction not controlled is the
fore and aft position of the spa end but with a suitable LEDGED tuffnel wear
strip for the spa to slide over on the port side access the guy pushing can
hold the wing tip aft (keeps the spa tip forward) and bingo problem of it
"FINDING " the socket is solved.
The socket isn't structural, only a rigging aid, but you are only increasing
it's structural contribution (and unfortunately a little weight!) but with
the extension ramps being reduxed to the seat back bulkhead it is better
held from cracking away (As mine did...... then try rigging on your own and
go fly over the Alps like we did!)
On the pip pin question the procedure for fitting the port pip pin (1/2"
diameter with the 1370 lb mod) is to pull the pin tight against the
starboard spa with the balls engaged, measure the gap between the handle and
seat back and suitably pack it out to "soak" up the loose length. (It was my
choice to use an identical pip pin on both sides of the a/c on the basis of
"whats good for the goose is good for the gander"  besides it looks more
professional than a welded allen key into a cap bolt!)
Obviously a threaded bolt with a self locking nut would be better than "the
balls" but can you devise a way of getting your hand in to fit the nut? But
also the "mickey mouse" welded allen key doesn't even have "the balls" to
restrain the spa from lateral movement. only the "cuff" mid span is
providing such restraint.
Hope you now feel happier about MY safety!!!!!?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG