Re: Europa-List: Light weight fill

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Light weight fill
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 04:32:29

> I want to use a car paint over the top, and in fact I would like it
> to be other than white, yellow in fact, and it is a deep rich vivid
> yellow!!  I am aware of the heat issues and am going to research
> a material sleeve arrangement for the wings and cover for the fuse,
> of a material suitable as a good radiator of heat. Tell me if
> you think this impossible, but I am only really interested in
> impossibility only, because I am quite attracted to having a
> "different Europa" and am prepared to suffer the weight penalty of
> having to take the covers with me wherever I go. If you can give
> me any advice or if you know of  suitable fabric please let me know.
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw

Tony, I doubt you'll find even vivid yellow will result in high
temps, so I don't understand the need to take it with you.  If there's
dew on the covers, you don't really want to then stuff it in the cabin
someplace - can get a bit "gamey" when wet, and around here my canopy cover gets
bombed with bird crap.

I've made 2 covers over the years, using fabric from a boat supply place
and from a upholstery shop.  It need only "breathe," or else some paints
can be ruined. The one silver "reflective" but nonbreathing cover I
bought did just that and I promptly dumped it.  Any light-colored material will
not even get warm.

The 2 other ready-made covers I bought were different fabrics, and these plus
the
ones I made were good for about 5 years, so I'm not aware of what material
is best.  Heavy material is good too; allows for higher wind velocity when
installing
the covers solo.  Else you need help, or fast and fancy footwork.

Regards,
Fred F.