Re: Europa-List: Fitting Rudder Pushrod Fitting CS29

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting Rudder Pushrod Fitting CS29
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:28:34

Hi Jim,

We ended up with a slight opening/gap on the port side when the rudder is
centered.
With our mono-wheel installation, we found the ground handling VERY challenging
with the 2:1 ratio to the tail wheel. After a ground loop fairly early in flight
testing, we modified the bell crank at the rear bulkhead for a 1:1 ratio.
Our tail wheel travel went from nearly +- 90 deg to +- 45 deg of travel. Ground
handling became much more manageable after the
change. In my experience with various tail wheel aircraft, the tail wheel travel
is more typically +- 30 degrees, so our travel is still pretty aggressive.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD

Jim Butcher wrote:

> We are fitting Graham Singleton's XS rudder modification and having
> difficulity
establishing the position of the CS29 push rod fitting in the rudder.  When
deflecting the rudder to port, we find the push rod hits the port side of the
rudder leading edge before the new steering arm gets to the stop.  We are able
to get more than 32 deg of movement to stbd.

> We have trimmed the port side of the rudder to give the push rod clearance to
the point that if we trim further the opening will be visible when the rudder
is at neutral.

> If we move CS29 further forward, the stbd edge of CS29 will be above the
> surface
of the rudder skin.