RE: Europa-List: Outrigger wheels

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Outrigger wheels
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:11:54

> <jronjones@lineone.net>
>
> Hello all,
> In May, Peter Zutrauen kindly posted an extract from Dennis
> Vories' article in which he (Dennis) gives details of the
> outrigger he has fitted to his Europa. Does anyone have
> Dennis's email address or, perhaps, details of the wheels
> used? Any help much appreciated. Regards to all, Ron Jones.
> (G-RJWX. XS 359)

Erich Trombley is using wheels made by Colson Caster (www.colsoncaster.com),
which he says are the same as the ones Dennis used.  Following his lead, we
have installed the model 2.00004.445 wheel (4" dia., 1.25" wide, ball
bearing, Performa rubber), which has a flat profile, like the factory
wheels.  Erich chose a round profile instead, I believe.  The only (minor)
problem is that the bearing bore is 0.375", so a bushing is needed to fit
the original axle bolt.  They are much quieter when taxiing than the
original wheels supplied by Europa.  We got ours from Roll-Rite Corporation
of Hayward, California, at $7.60 each for 4 wheels.

Dave DeFord
N135TD