RE: Europa-List: Two Quick Questions

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Two Quick Questions
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:34:35

For Part !, the short answer is: don't worry about it.

The slightly longer answer is: in order for corrosion to occur there must be
an electrolyte present in addition to the dissimilar metals.  On the fuel
side, barring the presence of water in the fuel, there is no electrolyte
(gasoline and Jet A being non-ionic liquids) so there is little risk of
corrosion.  On the exterior, where moisture laden air can be the
electrolyte, corrosion may occur, but it will not do much damage and
certainly won't do any damage quickly.  A visual check during the annual
inspection will confirm that neither the fittings nor the pump is
dissolving.  In this combination, Al vs. Cu, the Al will "protect" the Cu
---From corrosion (meaning that the Al will be attacked, not the Cu), just as
Sir Humphrey Davy's innovative use of iron anodes protected His Majesty's
copper-clad ship hulls from corrosion beginning in the early 19th Century.
More details at http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/AnodProtect/Frames.htm

For Part 2, the rudder cables run UNDER the pulleys.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070
Airframe complete