Re: Europa-List: Two Quick Questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Two Quick Questions
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:21:23

DuaneFamly@aol.com wrote:

> For the experts in this field......Would there be a dissimilar metals
> problem if I used brass fittings along with my aluminum ones in the
> fuel system?

A handy chart I have rates metals from anodic (top) to cathodic (bottom) as
follows:

Magnesium
Zinc
Aluminum alloys
Cadmium
Steel
Lead
Chromium
Brass/bronze
Copper
Stainless steel
Silver
Nickel
Graphite composite

Cadmium plated AN hardware is very near aluminum alloy and not coincidental it

is so plated. Stainless steel is further apart from aluminum than brass, but
I've yet to notice serious corrosion after many years of intimate contact.
Ditto for aluminum fittings on steel elbows, which should be steel if attached

to a vibrating engine.  It's really just a maintenance issue, since in enough
years it may leak or be damaged if disconnected.

Regards,
Fred F.