Re: Europa-List: Monowheel dual sealed beam?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel dual sealed beam?
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:15:30

Ron Hi!

> Did a test the other night with a box of lights. Had some 35 , 55 and 100 watt
> halogens that would fit, some driving and some fog lights. At best dismal
> results. Tried removing reflectors from fog, same thing.
>
> Tested a Cessna sealed beam 100 watt, worked great.
>
> Tested a larger diameter 100 watt sealed beam and that worked even better than
> the Cessna style.

Here in UK we cannot fly Night VFR so Landing Lights as yet are not a
requirement. An ID Light (landing Light) is useful for visibility in crowded
lower airspace area (IMHO) and so I have experimented with various Wattage
lights.

100Watt Lights not only take 8+ Amps power but also create significant heat
in enclosed areas or shrouds. I have experimented with 35W Whelen
Landing/Taxi  Light and was put off by heat transferred to local area,  a
particularly important factor in a 'plastic' Airplane.

I have settled on a 6 Watt HID Daylight Driving Unit from Hella. Visibility
is excellent, has small profile and low power requirement. I know it doesn't
answer your Landing Light problem directly but it may give you a rationale
to achieve balance between Light, Heat and Power when placing such lights on
a Europa.

The answer may be a retractable unit so cooling airstream available when
lowered and lit.

Have a look at:

http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/NewLook/welcome-NS.html

Regards