Re: Europa-List: Door Support

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door Support
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:22:35

> I'll confirm that all you say about Ted's mod. is true. Having seen it at
> the East Fortune Fly In a couple of weeks ago I can say that it is a most
> simplistic way of addressing the problem.
> From my point of view I'm wondering if it were to be fitted
retrospectively
> would the doors eventually return to their original undeformed shape ?

Bob,

I am far from being an authority in this field but I can see no reason why
you could not get the doors back to their original shape.

I would try placing heavy shot bags (something that absorbs heat) on the
doors while the aircraft is parked in the sun and maybe cover the top corner
of the doors with some black pvc sheeting too.  It may take some time but I
think it would gradually work provided the mod was done first so that there
would be nothing trying to still push the corners up.  If you don't have
enough sun over there, bring it over here because I can assure you we have
plenty.  Last week I did a trip in a C172 with one of my boys who is doing
his commercial training....... we covered just under 1400 nm and didn't see
one cloud from horizon to horizon all the way.

Back to the subject, I think I remember reading on the Forum that the
"alternative" method has the effect of returning things to normal too so it
might be worthwhile checking that out too.

Hope you get on top of the problem Bob, the deformity sure does detract from
the appeal of what is otherwise a lovely aircraft.

BTW, I am familiar also with Ted and Justin's undercarriage geometry but
unfortunately, I found out about it too late and the equipment to do such is
not available where I live anyway so I have to pass on that one.

Regards
Kingsley