Re: Europa-List: Europa XS 'conventional' landing gear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa XS 'conventional' landing gear
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:24:51

Hi Rick,

I understand that Bob Bierbe (spelling ?, sorry Bob) at FlightCrafters has been
working on a conventional gear design for quite a while, and is in early flight
testing now. I heard he was considering a kit, eventually.

It is unlikely that you will get back the space lost in the mono-wheel tunnel.
This area of the cockpit module is a major part of the fuselage structure. The
tri gear Europas do not recover this as cockpit space (although it can be used
for storage).

You would free up the baggage bay space consumed by the tri gear main gear,
certainly
an advantage.

I like the looks of the conventional gear Europas I have seen (only in photos),
and would think it is a good compromise between the mono and tri gear versions.
The mono-wheel can really bite you if you don't watch it, and the tri-gear
just has one too many legs, IMHO.

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD, Monowheel XS

Rick Heis wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Long time observer of this list but this is my first post.
>
> I am getting real close to making the commitment to build a Europa XS. I
> really
like the option with the two sets of wings. I have a few questions though.

> (1)  At Oshkosh a couple years ago, I saw an Europa at the Europa booth with
conventional landing gear (actually have a picture of it). I have done some
research
and can't seem to find much information on this since then.   Is this an
option or mod from the factory?   Is there a company that provides this option?
  Has anyone done this mod and can give me feedback?    Why has the factory
not offered this mod, when they had it on display at Oshkosh?

> (2)  Can anyone give me opinion or feedback about the pro's and con's of the
conventional gear mod? One thing I can think of is it would free up some tight
cabin space in the thigh and leg area due to a not needed mono retract wheel.

> (3) I did see a company that has this mod available but nothing by the company
or pilots about this mod. I am not set in stone about this mod, but it has
several
appealing qualities. I just need to know if its technically safe and sound
and 'airworthy'? I will list the web page of this company.

> http://isuisse.ifrance.com/CCandE/europa.htm
>
> Please tell me all I need to know. Is there any web sites or archives that I
can look at to answer some of these questions.