RE: Europa-List: 912 - Classic - Exhaust Pipe Fracture Survey

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912 - Classic - Exhaust Pipe Fracture Survey
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:16:00

Hello William,

My 912 'classic' Europa has flown for just under 600 hours and has a
very great number of take-offs and landings (higher than average),
mostly from a relatively smooth grass strip.

I have had 2, non-catastrophic exhaust failures in that time.

On the first occasion, after around 200 hours, a hole appeared in the
upper portion of the exhaust, probably related to a 'wire-wool' type
heat insulating material covering. (did it encourage condensation ?) The
insulation is now, no longer used. The engine became much noisier,
though the aircraft remained perfectly flyable. The failed pipe was
replaced.

On the second occasion, a hole appeared around 400 hours around the
'crossover' point of the exhaust downpipes and was only spotted on
inspection.

I can dig out more details, if you write me.

Alan

I've stopped 271 spam messages. You can too!
Get your free, safe spam protection at
http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/