Re: Europa-List: Additional thoughts on wing root fairings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Additional thoughts on wing root fairings
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:55:34

Been there, done that, didn't work. But looks nicer (IMHO).
Although low speed handling and behaviour in the flair is possibly improved
and there is no hint of "vortices" upsetting the tailplane at high AoA, as
had been hypothesised.
Low-speed (high AoA) fuel burn is exceptionally low, if that bears any
relation to the fillets.

What the Staggerwing and Spitfire have is, I think, as much to do with
fashions at the time.

Bruce Carmichael could offer no practical guidance on the subject; other
than "don't do nothing dumb"!

Duncan McF.