RE: Europa-List: Filling around the cowl area

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Filling around the cowl area
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:54:26

> I was wondering what other have done with respect to filling
> the transition between the cowl and the fuselage.  In
> particular the joggle makes the cowl sit high in this area by
> 3 mm.  This would require a lot of filler to be put on the
> fuselage.  I am thinking of recessing the fuselage instead.
> I suspect that I will have to take out quite a bit of
> material and to be prepared to have to reinforce it with cloth.
>
> Another approach would be to remove the joggle in on the
> bottom cowl so I don't have a double thickness of material,
> however this would leave the bottom cowl unsupported in the
> corner which would be undesirable.
>
> I'd be interested to know what others have done.

We removed about an inch of the joggle on the lower cowl at the top aft
corners, so the screws hold only the upper cowl at those points.  This has
worked out just fine for us.  The lower cowl is held precisely in place,
between the upper cowl and fuselage joggle, and there are plenty of screws
remaining around the lower cowl to keep it firmly attached.

Dave DeFord
M135TD