RE: Europa-List: Filling around the cowl area

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Filling around the cowl area
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:34:01

Because that part of the fuselage molding must remain structurally sound it
would be better to remove as much excess epoxy resin from the aft end of the
cowl moldings before attacking the fuselage moldings.  Fortunately my
moldings required little "adjustment" to get a good fit at the region
forward of the windscreen so the only significant fit problem was where the
upper and lower cowl moldings come together to join the fuselage.  In
sanding that area to get a good fit I found that it was necessary to
perforate the fuselage and reinforce the puncture with epoxy-glass, but I
avoided doing this for a larger area for fear of weakening the structure.

It is better to add a bit of weight rather than removing essential
structure.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070