RE: Europa-List: 912 Engine Problem - Request for help

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912 Engine Problem - Request for help
From: Stephan Cassel <cassel@sensewave.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:11:46

Fred! Thanks for your information.

Good news.

Regards,

Stephan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com]On Behalf Of Fred
Fillinger

 > I used to have an old Cherokee with an old Lycomming 320, 1400 hrs
 > Never any problem. I felt very safe flying 30 years old plane.
 >
 > Question:
 > Is Rotax a safe Engine? Is it good for 1200-1400 hrs?
 >
 > I hope so.
 >
 > Regards,
 > Stephan Cassel

A simple check of accident database for the U.S. (NTSB) shows 13
engine failures, 1998-2002.  That's out of likely over a thousand in
service in homebuilts and on the Diamond Katana.

One involved builder error in oil line plumbing; one a blocked fuel
filter.  One involved disconnection of a throttle cable, another a
binding throttle cable during a go-around.  One case not counted here
was a throttle cable too stiff, resulting in down elevator applied
during landing while retarding throttle, a contributing factor to pilot
error.  But reference here the cable friction needed due to stiff return
springs.

Nine are undetermined as to cause.  One involved a 912 run 700 hours
past 1200 TBO, the only Katana 912 failure in the data, with notably
3,093 airframe hours.  Two involved suspected fuel delivery problems;
one possible 912 carb icing; one possible electric prop runaway on a
914.  In latter case, the "snitch" software in the TCU's memory is
revealing but inconclusive.  Two undetermined because of impact damage
or fire, destroying fuel system plumbing, a possible cause by other
inferences.  Two purely undetermined.

In no case were there any reduction drive, ignition, or internal engine
failures.  This is significant because, for one popular brand of auto
engine conversion, these causes accounted for 50% of the failures in
this period, also about a dozen total but likely a smaller installed base.

IOW, the Rotax seems a very reliable engine if stuff is fabricated or
installed properly, particularly fuel, oil, and throttle.

Regards,
Fred F.