Re: Europa-List: OV protection

Subject: Re: Europa-List: OV protection
From: James H Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:20:25

Paul,
        When trying to use a OV protection with the Rotax alternator you
need to send the output from the Rotax through a relay.  This relay is
part of the OV control using "lectric Bob's" system.  All you have to do
is make sure that the output from the Rotax is connected to the 2500mfd
capacitor all the time.  This capacitor is the stabilizing "load" that
must be on the output.  I am using my designed 40A alternator with the
Rotax unit as my backup.  So my Rotax alternator is basically "just
there" with no work being done.  (Until my 40A goes "south").  When the
OV functions, the load is not "dumped to ground" as it is just
"disconnected" and left hanging. The OV unit goes to ground to blow the
fuse that holds the relay in the system.  With the relay "off line" and
the output not putting any power, all is stable.  Yes, I guess you put
the output to ground but it is through a fuse that is designed to blow.
The battery will take over now for a short time.   IF you are going to
use any strobes and running lights, you WILL need more than 17A from
Rotax.

Jim Nelson
N15JN