Europa-List: OV protection

Subject: Europa-List: OV protection
From: paul stewart <pauld.stewart@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:21:47

All

I have had some very helpful emails and photos from Gerry Holland recently about
electrics, which included some discussions about the EXP bus. This had me going
back to re-read 'lectric bob, the club overvoltage protection mod and EXP
bus latest web site - don't know if it's helping or not.

Control vision on their web site say that the EXP bus now provides overvoltage
protection. My understanding is that the Rotax has a PM alternator and so no
field
circuit to simply 'turn off', thus  the OV protection requires a relay capable
dumping the whole alternator output to ground (as per the club mod). Their
website suggests if using an alternator without a field input that the circuit
may be used for any 5 amp application. I'm not clear that the EXP bus does
provide the OV protection to prevent boiling the battery in the event or
regulator
failure.

Anyone with experience of the EXP bus or more understanding of it than my basics
care to comment.

Regards

Paul Stewart  #432