Re: Europa-List: Batteries true or false?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Batteries true or false?
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josok@ukolo.fi>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:53:35

The rotax engines have an oldfashioned coil-fixed nagnets built-in type
type of generator. There is no field coil, not needed because of the
fixed magnets. There is no collector.So reliability is likely to be
better then a normal external generator.  The weak point here is
probably the regulator/rectifier. The capacity of this built-in
generator is so small however, that i don't think it will fry the
battery, not while flying and other load is on. Worst case i can think
of is a shorted rectifier or regulator, which will blow the 60 A fuse
---From the Europa diagram. So we are still flying on the battery for some
time, but i wonder what will happen to the field coils, can they be
shorted without smoke or?
Who knows what is in that box?

Jos Okhuijsen