Re: Re: Europa-List: Subaru Engine Mount design

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Subaru Engine Mount design
From: europa@nimbus.geog.ox.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:54:31

> Mark,
> Don't want to appear to be a nag here, as I know I sent a message
yesterday,
> but I was wondering if you could also put me onto someone, PFA, or whoever
> that might have that engine mount diagram. I am also interested in
e-mailing
> someone else who has a flying Subaru, and a recent look through old Europa
> Club publications tells me that there are about half a dozen in the UK.
Can you
> put me onto someone who is flying as I would like to ask the following
questions,
> and some more that don't immediately come to mind. Thanks again, in
> anticipation.

The best person to speak to is probably Dave Hunter, based at Kemble.  I
can't find his email address at the mo. and I'm about to go away for a week.
With a bit of luck, he might follow up to this email.  If you don't make
contact, drop me a line and I'll find his address for you.

> Q1. How significant is the weight and balance in terms of a/c construction
> compromises(repositioning of batteries etc), and more importantly
> Q2. Are the flight control characteristics any different. I wouldn't
imagine that they
> could be, other than the a/c is overall heavier. As long as the a/c is
within its CoG
> limits, the flight controls shouldn't vary from one powerplant to another.
That is
> right isnt' it??? I know its right, I think!
> Q3. What fuel consumption are you getting at 75% power, and what revs is
that?
> For prop purchasing etc, what is the ratio of prop reduction you are
using, and
> wheat prop are you also using.
> Q4. This www.sub4.co.nz company can build up a 125 HP, continuous, EFI
> engine that weighs about 200lbs empty. That isn't too bad, and as I am 80
> kg/175cm (160 lb/5'9"), I could probably go OK in a Subaru powered a/c.

Cheers,
Mark.