Europa-List: Static charges, etc

Subject: Europa-List: Static charges, etc
From: david joyce <davidjoyce@beeb.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:49:31

I have followed this discussion with great interest and growing confusion. The
only clear messages that I have got out of it are, (1) that routing anything
metallic
down into the tank simply invites lightning to attack you where it hurts
most, and (2) Vapour concentrations down any of the pipes should be high enough
to inhibit any fire or explosion.
           I wonder whether anything proposed improves on my Europa Manual
suggestion
of grounding absolutely nothing in the fuel system! As far as filling goes
I am  tempted to think that the simple approach might also be best. By this
I mean  using a metal jerry can, with bare hands  (which will thus automatically
be grounded or at least equilibrated with you) and deliberately touching
the metal neck of the filler, before removing  the cap, which will thus
equilibrate
with you also, and will pretty much guarantee that you will not get a spark
anywhere where there is any possibility of of it igniting anything.   David
G-XSDJ