Europa-List: Diesel volatility

Subject: Europa-List: Diesel volatility
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:32:40

>As I recall you are going diesel with a significantly lower flash point,
>volatility, so maybe your fuel type dictates you don't need to worry, but what
>if you were using a 914 and MOGAS???

Trouble with Diesel, or more particularly Avtur, is that the fuel air
mixture in the tank may well be explosive whereas with Mogas and Avgas the
mixture is too rich to ignite.
It is thought by some that we should ventilate the tank to get the mixture
down below flammability. (Certainly in 747s and the like where they do have
possible ignition sources inside the tank.)
Using -6 Versatube for the in and out sections, blowing air in to the
normal breather connection and out from one of the other tank connector NPT
holes will provide some ventilation but whether it's enough I don't know.
Wilksch recommends it anyway. IMHO the risk is relatively low with no
electrical connections inside the tank. One should perhaps use either a
pressure transducer or Jerry Davis' floating magnet/reed switch device for
contents indication. Or indeed a sight gauge  {:-)
Graham

---