Re: Europa-List: Static when refueling?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Static when refueling?
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:36:39

> I would recommend that the breather pipe should be solid aluminium, 3/8"
> dia. not 1/4 and that it, the filler cap assembly and the funnel or other
> apparatus used to refuel should be kept grounded together.

That may be beneficial, but I'm not sure why.  It will provide a
conductive path to the giant capacitor (the tank), but I wonder if
there'd be a greater hazard - anytime, not just in refueling - where
bringing one's hand near enough the metal fuel vent triggers a spark if
there's enough vapor there.  At least there's nothing in FAA guidance
that fuel vents be conductive and grounded to airframe.  In fact, they
imply the exact opposite with ref to lightning protection -- that a fuel
tank vent not be a conductive path to the fuel.

Regards,
Fred F.