RE: Europa-List: Painting flaps

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Painting flaps
From: Richard <riddon@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:16:22

Below is a copy of the reply I sent to Paul with a couple of pictures.  I
thought the rest of the forum may be interested.

After much thought, I set up my 24ft x 12ft workshop to paint tailplanes,
flaps, rudder, ailerons, trim tabs & doors which I did all at once.

I made a wooden stand with a single upright & 'T' piece on the top approx 4
ft. long. I then attached the flaps to the ends of the 'T' by the central
hinge arm with a screw through the hole and another under the arm to hold
them in a vertical position, leading edge up so that I could paint both
sides. They were a bit wobbly but quite secure enough to spray.

I extended the upright of the stand and attached the rudder to this by it's
hinges.

The ailerons were the most difficult to support and keep still whilst
spraying.  I hung them vertically from the ceiling from one of their hinges,
drive pins uppermost but had to screw a piece of wood between the hinges
then use some wire attached to a screw in the wood, bent to attach to the
drive pins on the ailerons themselves to stop them twisting. Difficult to
describe but if you just hang them up, they spin & twist as you are trying
to spray them so they need to be restrained.

The doors I just hung from the ceiling by the aft hinge and a bolt
temporarily placed in the latch centre.

The tailplanes I supported with a brush handle clamped to a trestle support,
up the torque tube hole.

The trim tabs I simply screwed vertically by their hinges to the doors of my
workshop.

If anyone else would like pictures, please contact me off forum & I will
email.

Richard Iddon G-RIXS (** STILL ** waiting for my permit after over 2 weeks
and getting a little impatient)