Europa-List: Fuel Gauge Installation Problem

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel Gauge Installation Problem
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:52:14

Gidday,
I have installed the magnetic fuel gauge as per the instructions exactly. I
have a problem that the hole for the tank fitting is at the union of 2
surfaces, either side of the seam. The angle is quite noticeable and it is
definitely not flat. Suffice to say, when I tighten up the 5 anchorage
screws I have a distortion of the plastic flange that supports the female
boss for the probe. The good news is that the female boss is quite thick,
and I reckon it will not distort over time, but the distortion of the
plastic flange over time may create some stress tears. When tightening up
the studs,the rubber gaskets are hardly distorted, so I can only presume
that the length of the studs might be such that they are botttoming out. I
may put a 916-10L washer under each to see if I can get them to nip up a
bit more. So where is the problem? I left the tank about 1/2 full for ages,
and noticed a small amount of moisture around the rubber gasket, which I
can only presume is fuel. The flange I can distort with finger pressure
between any 2 studs such that I can squeeze down on it and close up a gape.
I am considering using the Hermetite Gold sealant but I am now worried to
install it when I know things may not be perfect. Lets face it, its a long
time installed!!! (I hope). Has anyone had these problems, or any other
problems with these installations? I don't want to know about people who
worked out the problem before installing the hole in the tank as per the
instructions. I already admire them, I just don't want to talk to them at
the moment :-)
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia