Europa-List: Yaesu Handheld Posting

Subject: Europa-List: Yaesu Handheld Posting
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:23:07

Hi All

I picked up this interesting posting regarding the Vertex (Yaseu) Aviator Pro.
I was thinking of buying one until I read this.

Paul
Subj:    [c-a] Yaesu Handheld -- Caveat emptor.
Date:   12/5/01 11:52:35 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:   brucem@theworks.com (Bruce McElhoe)

Hello,

I thought you might be interested and amazed at the exchange of letters I
had recently with Vertex Standard, the manufacturers of Yaesu handheld
transceivers.  I wrote the following to their U.S. office in Cerritos,
California. [condensed version].

I bought a "VXA-100 Aviator Pilot" transceiver [with a VOR receiver]....I
recently had the opportunity to try the navigation receiver during a flight
in my own fiberglass airplane with direct line-of-sight to several VOR
transmitters in Nevada.  I am distressed to find that, even in these ideal
conditions, the heading information (including the CDI indicator) is erratic
and unuseable.

I called your service department in Cerritos, California, and learned that
erratic readings are characteristic of that model and can not be corrected.
I was told the following:

   1. The navigation function is designed to have a steady reading only
while the receiver is not moving.  I was informed that readings would always
be unuseable in a moving airplane!

   2. They are well aware of this shortcoming in the design, and their
attempts in the past to improve the performance have been unsuccessful.

   3. Your service department does not have a signal generator to test
position information from the navigation receiver.  They are currently
unable to attempt repairs to my receiver, even if they thought they could
succeed.

I am disappointed in your product and advertising because I clearly expected
your VXA-100 to operate in my moving airplane.  I was informed also that
your newer navigation receiver, Model VXA-200/16, actually displays a
readable VOR signal while the receiver is moving.

Accordingly, I propose an exchange that will reduce my disappointment
greatly and restore my confidence in the trustworthiness of Yaesu.  [I then
proposed to send them my transceiver and the difference in price between
mine and the newer VXA-200/16.]

I received the following answer from David Akins, Manager, Commercial
Service, Vertex Standard:

[quote] We do understand the circumstances that you describe with respect to
the VOR operation in the VXA-100.  The problems that you describe are more
related to the attempted use of any handheld radio for VOR operation inside
a moving airplane.  This is why we state in the VXA-100 Operating Manual:
"Note The VXA-100's VOR and CDI Navigation features are supplemental aids to
navigation only, and are not intended to be a substitute for accurate
(primary) VOR/CDI or landing service equipment.".... We do wish that VOR
function could be made more accurate and stable, but our factory advises
that this just is not possible in a handheld radio.

"Nonetheless, we are unable to honor your request for a direct factory
trade-in.....We are sorry for your disappointment. [unquote].

Well, they got the "disappointment" part right.  I wonder where I got the
idea that a handheld VOR receiver would work in a moving airplane?  Maybe it
was from their advertisements.  Unfortunately, the receiver is useless as
even a "supplemental aid to navigation".  The digits change so fast on the
display that they are unreadable.

Caveat emptor.

Bruce McElhoe             Long-EZ  N64MC
Reedley, California