Re: Europa-List: Trailers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trailers
From: Paul Boulet <possible2do@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:15:47

Thanks for the trailer update.  Would you please give me David's email so I can
contact him about photos and possibility of shipping across the pond?  Can you
tell what you paid?  ThanksPaul Boulet, N914PB

Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no> wrote:--> Europa-List
message
posted by: "Sidsel & Svein Johnsen"

To complete the little "survey" that appeared recently on this Forum:

At the end of a perfect Easter holiday in the very beautiful Cotswold area
in England, I hitched my new, covered trigear trailer built by David
Schofield to my car and drove the 900 km back to Oslo (ferry across the
water, though). I will use it for transportation and as a hangar at the
airport(s) I intend to fly out of. It is tailor-made to Norwegian max.
width of 2550 mm (which I understand applies also in many other continental
European countries, but exceeds the max. allowed for registration in the
UK). This gives wide enough stern ramp/opening for the trigear, with some
clearance, with the floor being level with the top of the axles (not over
the wheels). Empty weight 730 kg, max allowed cargo 870 kg (1600 kg
capacity of axles/brakes, whole trailer built accordingly). Space on the
inside walls for the wings and tailplanes. Access door and windows in
front. Plan to fit solar panels on the roof to charge a standard lead acid
battery of good capacity for interior lights and as a source during any
testing of a/c systems, jumper cable starts, etc. Twin axles. Very nice to
tow, got some experience in the prevailing strong NE'lies over England last
week-end. Pressure wave from passing trailers noticeable, however, as also
noted by others.

I have no experience with other builders, but I can unreservedly recommend
David both as far as his product is concerned and the service he rendered.
There was nothing "impossible" for him to adapt to or fit, and the result is
very good. Really looks like it is built professionably. David was well
along in building a covered trailer for a mono, which of course can be made
narrower. Our road authorities are quite strict in approving "one-off"
vehicles, but this one passed without any other comments than some missing
reflex strips and some additional marker lights required due to its width.
For possible continental interests: I had David install Alko-Kober
brakes/hitch mechanism and Alko-Kober axles, which are readily accepted here
(I got the type no's from David before ordering, and had them pre-approved
by the road authorities).

Only got to get the 'plane finished now!

Regards,
Svein
A225 (now in Norway)