Re: Europa-List: CS props

Subject: Re: Europa-List: CS props
From: William Mills <combined.merchants@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:54:38

Ian and All,
To assist Mark Burton with his final tweaking, I have been flying with one
of his prototype Constant Speed Controllers fitted to my Mono / 912 /
Arplast PV50.  So far I have clocked up 27 hrs with the combination and I
can thoroughly recommend the unit to anyone with a PV50.  It does all that
the literature claims efficiently and reliably and is very user friendly to
operate.  I installed a small lead weight in the tail to compensate for the
extra weight of the hub.
As I fly out of a short, narrow and humped farm strip, I need maximum
continuous power from the engine and maximum concentration from myself for
the take-off.  I set the target climb RPM to 5,750, which then provides a
continuous stream of maximum power, regardless of speed, without me having
to worry about coarsening the prop in stages to avoid exceeding the maximum
RPM.  As soon as I have raised the gear and flaps and have achieved a
sensible height I reduce the target RPM to 5,400 for the remainder of
initial climb.  Fitting the VP prop revolutionise my Europa's performance
and now fitting a constant speed controller has guilded the lilly.
If anyone contemplating one of these units would like to hear more of my
experience, please call me on 01495785499.
Regards,
William