RE: Europa-List: Aileron Fit

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Aileron Fit
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:03:08

Mike,

I found this last week when I fitted my ailerons, and checked with the
factory. According to Neville this is normal with the XS wing (the wing tip
is effectively fat and long) including the factory demonstrators, and when
everything is together you simply lop off the TE of the wing tip and have a
step off the aileron on the top side.

In case you haven't found this yet - when you fit the flaps for real you'll
need a couple of mixing sticks between the rib and the template to make up
for the top skin not being fitted - the template dimensions assume it is
fitted.

A tip from the factory for making your plane look a little nicer (and fly a
fraction of a knot faster?): when you fit the wing tip diamond halves, fit
them flat side inboard so you get a nice flat face 3mm from your aileron
tip.

Finally, the tip closeout on the aileron isn't a flox corner and flat skin
because you may need to trip the length a fraction. I've had to cut my
ailerons down rather more than a fraction because they were too long (a
problem the factory has now fixed) and will have to redo the tip closeout -
only this time I can do a flox corner and flat face - which is much easier
to lay up and looks much nicer. Anyone still on their ailerons may choose to
leave the foam in the tip closeout, trim to precise length when fitting to
the wing, and do a flat face instead of the recessed closeout.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey

Europa XS Monowheel 537M G-EZZA