RE: Europa-List: Regarding Europa Lists NACA vents

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Regarding Europa Lists NACA vents
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:09:49
 03/07/2003 09:09:52 AM

Don't be too hard on the company.  I think the problem is due, at least in
part to the system they have to operate in. As bad as the certification
process is in the US, it is worse in the UK. Remember that Cessna has not
made a significant design change to a piston A/C in more than 30 years.  In
the UK, even changing an airvent requires a application to authority (PFA),
even for just an individual builder.  I'd guess that the manual
is the same problem, expense to change.

Just be glad we have people like Russ and Bob who have been there and done
that on enough Europas to know what actually works and what does not, and
what the actual best sequence of building is to avoid the
many small gotchas in the printed manual.

Ira N224XS XSTrigear MG

Subject: Europa-List: Regarding Europa Lists NACA vents

These vents havent ever worked well. Several builders have told me this.
Europa knows this but continues to send them along with a builders manual
with pictures that are photo copied so you cant see them. There are many
other things that should be changed such as the sequence of certain parts
of
the build.
Dont get me wrong, I love this little plane and hope to be flying in a
year.
I just feel that if it werent for the expert guidance Ive received from
Flight Crafters I would have already made several mistakes. Simple things
like more drawings, better sequencing of the pages. Also how much would it
costs to include an extra rivet or two, or an extra piece of piano hinge
wire.
Clearly the company is more interested in selling kits than solving builder
concerns & problems with the manual. This is an issue that needs to be
changed if Europa is to ever flourish here in America.

Jeff

1st time builder
A258
Tri gear