Europa-List:Layups Peel Off!

Subject: Europa-List:Layups Peel Off!
From: DaveMiller@ca.cgugroup.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:17:30
 03/04/2003 08:15:04 AM,
        Serialize complete at 03/04/2003 08:15:04 AM

I had problems earlier in the build with layups on to the spar, which I
have to think were caused by residue on the spars.
Various washes were tried, finally I got the best results with "comet" or
"Ajax" type kitchen cleaners, they have abrasion
as well as cleaning qualities.
If you want to know if a lay up is going to stick, use the water test -
spray water on to the surface to be bonded, if the water beads you are not
going to get a good bond, it has to lay flat on the surface.
I've actually had better luck with less coarse abrasive paper 100 grit
seems to cover more area and remove more surface contaminants, coarser
grits seem to work them into the surface
One other thing, make sure the abrasive is not a no load or stearate
impregnated paper that may lay a coating on the area being sanded

Dave A061