RE: Europa-List: Mounting fuel pumps

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mounting fuel pumps
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:22:30

Kevin:

Yes the 303-6 hose clamps up nicely to the pump outlet. I bought a mandral
---From Wicks Aircraft it is $10 cheaper than the unit in AC Spruce.  This is
not a recommended tool as noted in the AC Spruce catalog it is a required
tool if you are to install the fittings right.  The fittings go in so tight
to the hose that it really inspires confidence in the integrity of the
joint.

I was originally told that the 914 pumps had check valves in them.  Upon
obtaining them and investigating by pumping gasoline from one backwards
into the other this was found not to be the case.  So make sure you account
for this and install some check valves.  Just don't buy them from Wicks.  I
got a pair and they have been sitting around since 1959! (just about as old
as me).  These things were real relics.  I now know how things were
packaged befor plastic was real popular.  There was no problems with Wicks
taking them back and crediting me.  I even gave them the opportunity to
send me some newer ones but they said all of the ones they had were that
old.  They must have gotten a good deal from some govt surplus sale.

Using this hose and fittings is indeed not cheap.  Its easy to burn a
C-note and just get started with the job.

I was talking to Erich Trombley who just launched his plane recently about
fuel systems and he has come up with a novel way to implement a fuel
totalizer without having to have a flow sensor on the return line.  If I
understand it right He put a "T" upstream of both pump inlets and hooked
the return line into the supply line. Then he put a check valve ahead of
this so that the fuel can't be pumped back into the tank. He's got quite a
few hours on the plane now and says the fuel burn indications are right on
the money.

I may try this out after getting a heads up from him after some extended
usage.

Steve
A143
Mesa, AZ

> Steve, Did you fit the 303 hose on the pumps outlets and hose clamp them?
> Did you get the aeroquip mandrel for the 491 fittings?
> The 303 looks like a very good choice, better be for the price eh?
> I too am trying to get this wrapped up before the top goes on. I just got
> word that my 914 is on its way! John Hurst kindly sent me a retired fuel
> pump to help get this plumbing madness figured out. I'd be glad to pass it
> on if anybody could use a model 914 pump.
>   Thanks, Kevin Klinefelter  A211

Tee
> > fitting that is not plastic? I'm trying to reduce the number of
> connections
> > as much as possible.
> >

> --- Steve Hagar
> --- hagargs@earthlink.net