Re: was RE: Europa-List: G-OWWW first flight .now a debate about Throttl

Subject: Re: was RE: Europa-List: G-OWWW first flight .now a debate about Throttle/power
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:30:53

>Also if I remember correctly, for a given power setting, best economy is
achieved with the combination of maximum MP (allowable) with the minimum RPM
for that power setting.  This may only be the case for radials ...... I'm
not sure.<

This may be true in theory. With a Rotax powered Europa it seems to be true
in practice if you are operating at an economy cruise
of  105kts. However I have found that at 125kts it doesn't make any
difference whether the rpm is 4500 with low MAP or 5000 with a higher MAP.

Although it was 6 months ago I last checked this the figures below were what
I remembered achieving. My Europa is a Classic Monowheel with 912S/Airmaster
prop.

Speed (kts)              RPM                    Fuel Flow (litres/hr)
105                            4500                       13.5
105                            5000                       15.5
125                            4500                       17
125                            5000                       17

Regards

Nigel Charles