Europa-List: debate about Throttle/power levers.

Subject: Europa-List: debate about Throttle/power levers.
From: LTS <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:08:27

Yes power is a sort of product of rpm and MAP. I have recently done a load
of flight testing for Mark Burton using a VP prop, fuel computer and
manifold pressure gauge to determine the Rotax power curve for different
MAPs and RPMs. As a result Mark has now refined the power display on his
Constant Speed propeller controller so that it gives a good indication of
%age power based on MAP and rpm. Interestingly speed and fuel flow
correlated very well and for a given fuel flow similar speeds were produced
regardless of MAP and rpm (within reasonable limits). I have flown my
aircraft with VP prop for almost 300 hours using a fuel flow gauge rather
than MAP. This worked very well for me as I could see the %age power I was
using at any time. I have to say now I have been flying with a Constant
speed upgrade which also gives me MAP I like the quick response of the MAP
gauge compared to the fuel flow meter. Having the MAP and rpm linked to give
power as %age power means you can throttle up to your desired power setting
quite easily with fewer adjustments. MAP is also cheaper than a fuel
computer so I think I would be tempted to rely more on that in future.

For a fixed pitch propeller operating at a set height the %age power should
be determined from the prop speed alone providing you know the engine power
at full throttle. That is to say if your Rotax 912 and fixed pitch propeller
for example are configured to give 5500 rpm at full throttle in level flight
that's 79hp from memory at sea level. Using a cube rule the hps at rpms can
be calculated.

5500   is    79 hp
5400   is    75 hp
5300   is    71 hp
5200   is    67 hp
5100   is    63 hp
5000   is    59 hp
4900   is    56 hp
etc.

However as the aircraft moves slower at lower power settings the propeller
becomes more heavily loaded (higher MAP) and this simple method can not
actually be used with total accuracy. In practice the lower power settings
will be predicted lower than they actually are.

Jerry

                    Jerry@ban-bi.com
                    www.Ban-bi.com     or   www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown