Re: Europa-List: Avalec on the Net???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Avalec on the Net???
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:22:08

> When changing fuel you are supposed to recalibrate,
> this involves emptying the whole tank (so take some buckets with you when
> you go on a long trip).

Avelec says the dielectric constants of unleaded motor fuels vary with brand
(which seems plausible, and I don't suppose the brew for any given brand is
constant for all time, either).

So, IF you are looking for accuracy you should recalibrate any capacitance gauge
when changing fuel, not just the Avelec one  -  always presuming the one you
have is accurate in the oddly-shaped Europa tank and that it offers sufficient
resolution to show any difference.

In practice, I don't suppose it makes any noticeable difference.  Anyone already
flying care to comment ?

The Avelec gauge is expensive, for sure, but it offers different features.

John Cliff