Re:Europa-List: The Dreaded Petrol(Gas) smell.

Subject: Re:Europa-List: The Dreaded Petrol(Gas) smell.
From: erichdtrombley@juno.com
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:54:51

"Has anyone had any problems with the intermittent smell of petrol in the
 cockpit.  I think that this may be a MONOWHEEL and ROTAX 914 specific problem."

I do get an intermittent smell of exuast when lowering flaps and gear but never
fuel.

On another note, I have noticed that the airbox drain/vent line is accumilating
oil on my 914.  Not a lot mind you but enough that it got me thinking.  In 30
hours of flying I have probably less than 1/4 oz.  My question is has anyone
else seen this?  Is it normal?  Two things I can think of is that the oil is
seeping
past the oil seal in the turbo and making its way into the air intake.
Or perhaps it is the oil used to initially charge the air filter.

Regards,

Erich Trombley