Re: Europa-List: The Dreaded Petrol(Gas) smell.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: The Dreaded Petrol(Gas) smell.
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:41:35

In a message dated 2/19/2003 6:30:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
acrojim@cfl.rr.com writes:

> While on the subject of the airbox, the temperature probe in the airbox
> needs to be pulled out and cleaned with alcohol, or acetone about every 150
> to 200 hours. The oil on it due to heat in the airbox will blacken. Once
> this happens being dark it absorbs heat, an as a result  it sends a higher
> temperature back to the computer. The computer is set to retard timing when
> the airbox temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Here in Florida, in the
> summer, at takeoff
> with full boost it is not long before 165 Degrees is reached.

A question arises in my mind on this. The temp probe is sticking inside the
airbox. If it turns black from soot or something, that would only effect
heating if it were exposed to light. It's dark inside that airbox, so
wouldn't the problem be something else, like insulating the probe perhaps?

Just wondering,

Dave A227