Re: Europa-List: Europa club members-only area

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa club members-only area
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:26:29

In a message dated 2/17/2003 5:21:18 AM Pacific Standard Time, garrys@att.com
writes:

> In cruise configuration at 75% power, at sea level altitude the Europa
> is a 130-135 knot airplane.  Doesn't matter whether you have a turbo
> engine, a CS prop, Trigear or mono, speed kit or not, light build or
> heavy...........that's it!  I have a standing wager for $1,000 to anyone
> who can show me 200 mph ground speed over a two way course at 75% power
> and at altitudes not requiring IFR clearance, I.E. below 18,000 feet.

The following is opinion - read at your own risk!!!

If you can indicate 130 knots in a 914 powered airplane, you will be able to
indicate 130 knots at ...say.. 17,000 feet. That is because the power will
still be available at 17,000 due to the turbo charger. True airspeed
increases by approximately 2% per thousand, which makes the true airspeed at
17,000 34% higher than indicated. 130 X 1.32 = 174 knots. 174 knots is (174 X
1.15) 200 MPH. Airliner cruising in the 30's are flying at true airspeeds
around 450 knots, while indicating around 250 knots. There is a huge
difference in speed when comparing a turbo charged aircraft to a non turbo
aircraft - but only at high altitude. As the non turbo aircraft climbs, the
power available drops. The turbo charger makes up for some of this power
drop. On my aircraft with the long wings, I should be able to see about 23
inches at 26,000 feet (estimate). At that altitude, the true airspeed would
be nothing short of spectacular. (of course I won't be going that high very
often!) That is the difference. I think that people with tri gear aircraft
and with no drag reduction and at various finish weights want to believe
there is no difference, but there is. The old adage applies - you don't get
something for nothing. The laws of physics are at work here!

That is just my opinion of course.

Dave A227
Mini U2