Re: Europa-List: New purchase of monowheel kit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New purchase of monowheel kit
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:43:13

> Options we are probably going to make:
>
> Install a Aileron trim servo

I would suggest that an aileron trim is only really worthwhile if there is
an appreciable amount of time operating 1 POB and 2 POB. Otherwise just use
a fixed tab to set it up for your normal trim condition. I found that on the
few occasions that I flew on my own there was only a slight trim load which
was easily coped with by using my knee as a trim stop. The best way (imho)
to set up
a fixed trim tab is to fix a length of wedge shaped balsawood under the
aileron of the high wing (ie half a Flettner strip). This has three
advantages over conventional trim tabs:

1. It is hidden from view.
2. It weighs very little minimising the effect on mass balancing.
3. It is easily adjusted by cutting to length until it is just right.
Initially fix with tape until perfectly trimmed and then glue it in
position.

If you still wish to use full aileron trim be sure to mass balance the
aileron after fitting the servo to avoid any problems with flutter.

Regards

Nigel Charles