Re: Europa-List: New purchase of monowheel kit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New purchase of monowheel kit
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:25:27

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the Europa gang. You have some good questions. Here are some
comments based on my limited experience of ~1 year and 120+ hours of fun
with my mono XS.

>Considering a 7:00 tire, is there an opinion as to make an 8:00 fit on
>the build??

I fitted a 7.00 x 6 McCreary Air Trac. Works fine on grass and tarmac,
no apparent wear after 200 + landings, most on tarmac. Not sure why you
would need the 8.00 size, it may give clearance problems. Also more weight.

>Purchase water Drains ?

Probably a good idea. I have them but have never seen water. Be aware
that small debris can get on the face of the O ring drain seals. This
can cause a very minor fuel weep which may stain your paint.

>Purchase Float type fuel guages ?

I use an EIS display with the flowmeter option which gives a very
accurate indication of fuel remaining and endurance. I also have two
capacitance tank gauges but non linear tank shape does not help accurate
indication. The Mod 60 level kit from the factory at $278.46 is probably
a good buy. Not sure that float gauges are a good idea.

>Install a Aileron trim servo ?

I should have put one in, I may get round to it.

>Purchase a standard thickness non bubble window solar gray with 2 hinged
>vents ?

I am 6 feet tall and the standard canopy is fine for me. If you want to
fly at night, you will probably be better off with clear. I have clear
and  have fitted stick-on semi-opaque sun shields overhead (Jim Brown's
idea) which work very well. They are ~12 in. x 15 in., available from
WalMart auto accessories at <$5.00. Trade mark is "Avius Sun-Spot". Re
vents, I have seen some small aluminum articulated disc vents at
Flightcrafters but can't find reference. They looked very effective and
neat.

>purchase speed kit ?

Yes. Hey you want to go fast, right  ?

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S, WhirlWind c/s prop
Mooresville, NC