Re: Europa-List: Minimum trim speed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Minimum trim speed
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:49:18

I have not trimmed for minimum speed, but I can tell you that I always fly
the final approach at 65 knots at which I have around 1.5 to 2 marks left on
the standard supplied trim gauge.

On take-off I ALWAYS lift the tail during the roll. I am guessing, but
probably at around 35 knots (I never look at the ASI as I do it all by
feel). In fact my preferred method is to slowly unload the back pressure on
the stick from just a few yards into the take-off roll. This seems to stop
any tendancy to swing (through precession) as the tail comes up, because it
is all a much more gentle affair. I have on many occassions forcefully
pushed the stick to get the tail up and you do have to be ready to stop the
extra swing that incures.

Dave Watts G-BXDY (now with 830 hrs on the clock)

> I am now a test pilot and I would like some input, if you could. I have
now
> flown the Mini U2 (motorgllider) 2 flights and 1.8 hours. It has gone very
> well, except for today's near disaster landing. I have not explored the
> slower speeds enough and was too conservative on the approach speed. (too
> fast). The rest of the story, I will not tell, as it must be obvious. It
> ended up OK with a go around.
> The troubling thing I have encountered is that I can only trim to about 65
> knots minimum and that is at full aft trim. I have not refined this
exactly,
> but it is close. The airplane acts as if it is at a too far forward CG. My
CG