Re: Engine off!

Subject: Re: Engine off!
From: Kevin Taylor <kevin@eastyorkshire.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:20:03
Mike,

Thanks for the message. Its very difficult to feel I handled it correctly
when I feel I contributed to it happening in the first place!

Its very difficult to explain but I simply didn't contemplate that this
bracket was fitted incorrectly and therefore didn't foresee this happening.
I'm dam beating myself up over it if I'm honest and at the moment full of
mixed emotions about the whole incident and don't understand how I missed it
***In hindsight***

If your engine stops your committed your going down. Just hope the piloting
skills are right to a safe landing. Trouble with my problem was I had
options, this included right and wrong options.

Just to clarify I was very confident of making a safe landing at my
diversion destination and I didn't request the assistance of the Seaking or
fire trucks! I actually felt a little embarrassed about that, although at
one point 10 miles from Humberside I seriously thought the engine was ready
to stop and was grateful having the Seaking shadowing me. Also how that
bracket did NOT go past the carb I don't know. So I guess the chance of a
Engine out was very high.

I have already had a couple of critics say that they would have JUST made a
glide approach to my own base without diverting. With 700M of grass I would
agree I should be capable but there are some additional problems at our
base. Tress on finals 150M from the threshold a very wet surface, plus at
the time no one there to drag me out of a wreck if it all went wrong. I
would have put my odds of greater than 50% of making it but I prefer 100%.

I have since spoken to and thanked all those involved in helping me D&D the
crew of the Seaking and ATC who were great. Still looks like Humberside are
going to charge me a landing fee and overnight parking but guess I cant
complain.

One thing for sure the next available opportunity I WILL be practicing some
glide approaches and I have a list of action points to improve my drills
---From this incident. Also I am searching for some data on glide ratios etc to
calculate height to distance glide data.

regards

Kevin
PS I still have every confidence in the Europa and NSI just not in my
ability to spot potential problems.